Friday, April 20, 2012

You From Jersey? Me Too!



Say what you will about people from Jersey, but there is a bond that can bridge even the roughest of times. It is even a touchstone during difficult business negotiations.

Today, I was able to diffuse a potential problem at work, between a coworker and a customer in a decision making role, by playing the Jersey card. I had a customer call in with a legitimate complaint. I asked for an appropriate amount of time to research the problem and return her call with a viable solution.

Upon learning I could not improve the situation, I called the customer back to relay the information. Prior to delivering what I knew to be unpalatable, I was able to find some common background and deliver the negative news to more receptive ears.

Sometimes, a little Jersey, goes a long way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment